Raining Leaves












The sound of rain as it softly collides with the leaves on the trees, ground and roof of my house in its downward trajectory brings with it one of my favorite kinds of days! I have always loved cloudy - rainy -foggy days - something about rainy days is incredibly soothing - like being rocked to sleep when you were a baby - that feeling of perfect comfort and utter safety! There is no other sound like rain...

The leaves on the trees are following the rain. With periodic gusts of wind sometimes the leaves mix in in  spiraling swirls - as if the rain and leaves are celebrating their own private and sacred ritual dance. A carpet of red, yellow, gold and orange is left behind, a glistening blanket, the first of many layers to be laid to protect the earth as she sleeps and renews herself for the coming work of spring.

Having been such a hot and severely dry summer the trees are already showing their peek foliage - with some trees almost bare of their leaves. Admittedly, I have to accept that it is almost October and thus perhaps it is just my annual sadness of watching my beloved fall all too quickly give way to the next season.  Fall hits you every year with such brilliance in its dress of golds, yellows, oranges and reds - proudly saying, "I am here - am I not beautiful beyond belief?!", that you think she will be here forever...

Then, as with every year, slowly the days begin cooling, and before you know it the trees are bare, the flowers and songbirds are gone, the animals are nestled into their burrows dreaming bear and chipmunk dreams of the yummy berries and bugs and leaves they will feast upon when spring blooms once again. We on the other hand, are left to make our burrow as best we can in the darkness of shortening days while we dig out our favorite big comfy wool sweaters and socks and hibernate along with the bears and chipmunks.
Happy Fall Everyone!
Thanks bunches for stopping by...
Hugs,

Comments

Cortney said…
Oh, I love it! You just brought me home to NH! I admit that although I love it here in CA my heart does ache a little from home in NH during the fall. We always loved driving around looking at the foliage and watching the tourists invade the town to see the leaves change too. It always made me a little sad when the leaves are done falling because not only are the tree bare, the streets also empty out of all the tourists and eveyone prepares for winter. Thank you for sharing, I love the photo's. How far away from Meredith, NH are you? Have you ever been there? That is where I grew up.
Linda M. said…
Elizabeth,

Love the pictures. We had a similar kind of day here in PA. I've finally started to carry my camera in my purse, now I really must start taking more pictures of my surroundings. Thanks for the inspiration.
Electra said…
Love both your pics and your words, Elizabeth!
bettyl said…
What a great series of shots! So lovely.