Oh Sweet Spring - Where for art thou?



I couldn't believe my eyes when the forecast late yesterday (3/18) came across the Internet... snow storm beginning after midnight and continuing until Wednesday 3/20 with accumulations between 14" to 16"! What?

 
 
Sure enough I woke to a morning filled with snowflakes tumbling from the sky with over an additional 7" and drifting in spots, well you get the idea... Since I just placed a large order for my garden plants you can imagine my dismay - more about what I ordered in my next post! I was all prepared to have a miserable dreary day but much to my delight it has turned out to be one of those cherished wintery days that will stay as a sweet memory long after it has passed - a fabulous day filled with the flavors of country life!

 
That pile directly in front is about 4.5' tall! Eeek!

Staying inside all nice and toasty, doing laundry and cooking an old recipe I've had for about 30 years, for a Pioneer Beef Stew I found in an issue of Country Home Magazine suited me just fine - geez, I don't even think that magazine is even in publication any longer! Sad, I enjoyed reading that magazine and dreaming of the day I finally would live in the country.



So, as the house filled with the yummy smells of beef with bay leaves infusing with cooking carrots, potatoes, onions and corn simmering together in a broth of Cabernet Sauvignon, beef broth and chopped tomatoes that will culminate in a mini version of Nirvana I settled in to play with my newest toy...

 
Adding to my wonderful country winter's day - Yes, that is my new spindle - I waited a whole month for her... she was born on March 11th and was shipped out this past Saturday!  Sorry I didn't take a picture before spinning yarn onto her I was so excited to see her I got carried away - once I remove the yarn I will post a couple of pictures. She is made out of the most lovely curly maple with places in the wood that almost shimmer. She spins like a dream too ... I can see I am going to have a collection of Lisa's spindles! If you are interested her site is www.grippingyarn.com  Spinning on a supported spindle is one of the most meditative things I've ever done! Of course, finally having gotten the knack for spinning doesn't hurt either, lol!  I hope I feel the same way once I finally get my spinning wheel!



Along with the spindle Lisa sent along a small bundle of the most wonderful wool that is a lovely rose color with bits of white, pale yellow and even some lavender that spun up like heaven - that is it on the spindle. I must find out where she got it because I just have to have some more... what a beautiful shawl this would make.... fingers crossed that it is still available!

Well, I just stopped my spinning so I could share this surprisingly fabulous day with you but now I just have to get back to spinning! Uh Oh, I fell a habit coming on! :D

As always, Hugs and thanks for popping by for a visit!
Beth

Comments

Michelle Hill said…
Gosh, how I enjoy your writing! Thank you for taking me into your home, I can smell the simmering pot and feel the yarn between my fingertips. Tomorrow is the first day of spring and while it certainly does not look like spring in any way here in New England today, it WILL still be spring in our hearts. *hugs*
Jennifer Shelby said…
your day sounds wonderful. I love a good wintry day...but, like you, I've found the unexpected storm rather discouraging. Our snow was almost gone, my seed order had arrived...and then five days of snow happened (maybe the same storm headed your way now?). Is the 21st really the first day of spring?
Good heavens Beth, you do have a lot of snow. It has been snowing off and on for a couple of days here but it's not really accumulating. Doesn't spring realize it will be here in a couple of days? Perhaps we must remind Mother Nature!
Several of my favourite publications are no longer being produced, and just after I had renewed my subscription - go figure.
Have fun staying warm and playing with your toy.
Judith
Nancy said…
Your day sounds wonderful and at the end you are going to have a delicious dinner.....

I have never tried a drop spindle but you sure make it sound like fun...I headed straight to the spinning wheel....I haven't been spinning much lately but want to get back to it. I miss it......

Visiting with you is a delight; so glad I found you in blog land.
Pam said…
Sounds like you had quite a lovely day!! And what a perfect time to try out your new spindle! The yarn looks wonderful!
gilly said…
Eeeek, that's a lot of snow - but your day does indeed sound wonderful, and I could almost smell that delicious casserole from here!
Stay toasy warm & have fun spinning,
Xx
Nancy Claeys said…
Love your attitude about the new snow, Beth. Sounds like a perfect day inside with good food and busy hands. :)
Carole said…
Yum Elisbet, I'm ready for dinner. I can bring dessert if you like, oh please invite me ... *smile* How are you lovely lady, well I hope and as always I LOVE to visit. Have a wonderful week-end and what are you planning on spinning next? Hugs, Carole xox
CATHY said…
she is lovely!