The Making of a Shawl...

[source]
With my new found interest in everything wooly of course my knitting skills need a bit of a bump up on the techniques side... having crocheted more than I have knitted.  Along with the need for improving my knitting skills comes this burning desire to make some lace shawls. I am intrigued by the beautiful airy stitches but if I am to be completely honest I'm sure my sister-in-law has had some influence on the shawl front. A couple of years ago Wendy turned to making hand-knitted shawls and selling them at the local farmer's market, and the I guess the seed was planted in my head.  I love Victorian era clothes and the feminine feel they give and then this month's Spin-Off magazine came out with this gorgeous shawl pattern.
 

As I eagerly read through the instructions I realized it was something my current skills could manage (hopefully) and I was hooked.  However, the instructions intended that you first spin the yarn yourself. Alas, when I looked at the price for the roving it was just too expensive, and I am not yet at the stage of dyeing my own roving or yarn. Sooo, I did the next best thing and hopped over to KnitPicks and purchased this sumptuous hand dyed lace weight yarn called Shimmer. It is 70% baby alpaca and 30% silk in buttercream - I just have to share the description of this color:

Buttercream is a soft and shimmering yellow with subtle golden honey undertones. Shades of barely there vanilla transition into ecru, sand, and soft goldenrod, Buttercream is a stunning colorway perfect for sunshine-filled summer days.

Is that not totally yummy?! I am hoping to get started on the shawl today so I will keep you posted with my progress!

As always, Hugs and thanks for popping by for a visit!
 
Beth

Comments

Jennifer Shelby said…
Wow! It's going to be gorgeous! What a treasure to wear on cool evenings - I adore shawls. Hmmm...maybe I should learn how to make one for myself as well...
Acorn to Oak said…
That shawl is beautiful! I love fine, knitted lace but I have yet to master it. Lace is still a four letter word for me...unless it's simple or crocheted. Good luck on your project and have fun! That buttercream yarn is pretty. :-)
Sarah Jane said…
It sounds like it's going to be absolutely stunning Beth! Have fun with it :-)
Quinn said…
Wow, that is one appetizing description! And it looks like a lovely pattern...I'll be looking forward to pictures, start to finish :)
Pam said…
Just gorgeous! Cannot wait to see yours! I started a lace shawl with sleeves once. But it was with bedspread cotton. I lost interest way too fast!! I am more of a thick yarn knitter/crocheter! :)
Oh yes that buttercream is so lovely! I think it will pair perfect with the delicate style of the shawl! Please keep us posted!!! Can't wait to see it!!
Michelle said…
I KNOW you'll manage, and learn a ton in the process! I have yet to knit with lace weight yarn; the lightest I've used is fingering/sockweight.
There is something so tremendously comforting and timeless about a shawl. It's a blanket to have and to hold wherever you wear it, a bringer of warmth, and one of the most iconic pieces of female clothing ever. I love that you're creating a beautiful knit lace shawl for one your projects this year and hope that turns out splendidly for you, my dear friend.

♥ Jessica

*PS* Thank you very much for your immensely lovely blog comment today. How cool that you're exactly double my age - I always adore neat facts like (they help you feel even closer to your friends, I find).
Kristina said…
Beautiful. I have plans to learn how to spin wool, but it may be next year.