Wally World and Other Stuff...

WARNING: This blog post is a smidge long so you might want to grab your coffee, tea or cappuccino before sitting down to read ... you'll understand as you read so please bare with me!

OK, I've been missing but honest, I can explain! (also explains why this post is so chatty) :D

Better Homes and Gardens Autumn Lane Farmhouse Bench, White and Natural
I lost Internet on July 18th and didn't get it back until the 25th! YIKES!!!! Still don't know what really happened. After many phone calls to the repair number and much run around finally on the 25th I got a grumbly tech in person at my front door.  Talking mostly to himself he began checking our modem in the house, the box outside the house (who knows what that does) and finally driving into the center of town to the hub to fix an apparently faulty connection.  Three hours later, I kid you not, and finally the little Internet signal appeared happily beaming up from our modem.  All fixed Ma'am!  Ma'am?! Sheesh, I am getting Ma'amed way too much lately!

OK, on to something a little more interesting. So, you know the lace shawl I was tackling in the post before last? Ha! So I thought I was ready to tackle lace did I?! Ummm, not so much!  After undoing my work for who knows how many times I have decided after a long discussion with my muse to put it aside until I learn how to fix knitting mistakes without unraveling everything and starting completely over!  Yes, that is what I was doing... I know, sad  isn't it?!  I guess that happens when you are teaching yourself to knit.

Anyway, I found a great video on fixing mistakes over at Interweave, and purchased the instant download.  Oh my gosh, I have learned so much and I am only half way through!  Amazing stuff - if you have problems with knitting mistakes I highly recommend this video Fixing Knitting Mistakes by Kate Atherley.  You can order the DVD or download instantly - the download costs $19.95 and the DVD costs $24.95 plus shipping.  I like the instant downloads for the obvious reasons, instant access and of course no shipping fees.

 

So, what have I been doing while the Internet was down besides knitting and undoing a lot of mistakes?  Trying to find a nice layout for my studio... yes, yes, I am still in that quandary.  I know some of you have expressed that you don't even have a studio so you don't have this problem... in a way, lucky you!  Unfortunately, I am one of those whose surroundings are very important aesthetically and I need things to look organized and cute if possible before I can settle down to work! I recognize this as a flaw but one I have learned to live with... more or less! 
 
Kebo Chair, Black and White Geometric
Kebo Ottoman, Black and White GeometricI've also been trying to keep as much of my storage as possible and not purchase new things but I desperately need a chair and ottoman as well as a new work table.  I think I've finally found a reasonable set of options at Wally World of all places!  Yes, it is more modern than I might choose normally but on the other hand it is black and white which is the color scheme for my studio so... and at $89.00 for the chair and $49.00 for the ottoman?!
 
Better Homes and Gardens Autumn Lane Farmhouse Bench, White and NaturalI've also found a worktable at Wally World...  the table is a bit pricey at $169.00 and the bench is $53.00, which I have reasoned I could double as my bench for working at my spinning wheel...  Because space is such an issue I am getting the chair and ottoman first and then will work on the table issue after I see how everything else actually fits... or not. :D I have taken some before pictures and when I finish organizing and moving things around I promise a full reveal of the new and improved studio space for my new woolly adventures.  And yes, I will eventually have some finished pieces and hand spun yarns to show off... once I overcome all of the technical difficulties that is :D
 

Comments

Donna said…
Computer problems are the worst! Glad that you are back into the fray of the www world again! Those prices for Wally World are a good deal. Get what you like and you'll use your studio more!
Nancy said…
I wondered where you had been; glad to know you weren't sick....

This post is sounding too much like me....I have decided I will not knit lace...I make too many mistakes and it takes too long to knit...Remember I am an instant gratification gal....but I do like the idea of the video of helping with mistakes...I will definitely be looking into it...Thanks for telling us about it....

Next issue too close to home....I like you, need my space to be pleasing to the eye and not cluttered for me to able to work....I have too many supplies for too many different "arts" I refuse to say craft and I am continuing to reorganize my studio...My hubby tells me if I would throw half of it out I would have plenty of space...But what if I want to something other than knit, spin, weave or art journal...I wouldn't have my necessary supplies....

Well enough about me....I love the new chair and ottoman. I can't wait to see pictures of your studio.. ....

So glad to see you back....have a great week...
Chris said…
Hi Beth, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/
Pam said…
Sorry to hear about your internet troubles. I know how that feels. It's like you've been put in isolation!! :) Sad but true how we rely on the internet!!! Great furniture pieces too, love the table and bench!
Quinn said…
Enjoying your studio project from afar, but if this is a very long post, some of mine must be epic-length! ;)
I've been having a lot of issues with sloooooow internet access the past couple of weeks, and it has bumped me out of my pleasant blog-routine of reading and writing. Still don;t know what the problem is, but I'm having to unplug everything then replug, pretty much anytime I need to be online. Do-able, but annoying. Hope your problem is fixed, and stays fixed!
Vicki Boster said…
Beth- computer woes are SO frustrating!!!
I just gotta say- I LOVE the chair and ottoman! Wart- are you kidding me??? They are so beautiful-- and I love the table too-- you are about to get SO organized-- and chic!

Vicki
Hello Beth
That is a LONG time to be without your internet, and disappointing that the problem was at the other end all along.
At least you kept busy and I feel sorry that you kept ripping out the lace, must be tricky to create.
I too say to get what you really want for your studio and then it will be a happy place to work.
Judith
Michelle said…
Welcome back!

Does the knitting fix DVD tell you about lifelines? SOOO helpful in lace knitting!
Oh no, I'm really sorry that you lost the internet for a few days. We had that happen earlier this year and I can attest to just how frustrating it is to suddenly be web-less for a while. The backlog alone that builds up makes it a bit of a nightmare. Though, to be fair, I think it's good to take an internet breather every now and then - whether by choice or circumstance. Still, I'd rather it be by choice any day!!!

Wishing you a beautiful Monday & week ahead, dear Beth!

♥ Jessica