Lights Please...

 
The saga of my studio reorganization continues - on, and on, and on and on... It's beginning to feel like an epic!  As I mentioned in a recent post, I have managed to get down to the little ambiance details but sometimes those are the hardest to design.  Now that I finally have a space to sit in I have been coming into the studio and just sitting, soaking up the feel of what's missing.  Lighting is a huge issue especially living in an old New England converted barn. Here in New England old houses, and redesigned old barns tend to have smaller than normal (OK, whatever normal is) rooms, and lighting fixtures and electric outlets are at a premium!

So, as you might imagine, lighting is on that list of finishing details.  I have been looking everywhere for some cute and inexpensive lamps... sheesh, when did furnishings and lighting and such get so crazy expensive?!  I mean, I can shop with the best of them but $500.00 for a lamp!?  Not so much!!!

I was actually beginning to think about buying light kits and make my own lamps out of antique mason jars or some other cute designs. I really loved this one but in the end I honestly wasn't sure how to go about making it... (still thinking about working out how it would go together as it would look really adorable in a corner - of course for this I need to get an electrician in to make a ceiling access since there isn't one anywhere in the studio).

[source unknown]

I looked at lighting shops, forget that they are the worst on prices; I looked online at Target; at Walmart; even Sears and K-Mart!  Nothing that came even mildly close to the feel I was looking for in the price range I could manage.  I decided I was going to make one last ditch effort and go around to the consignment shops but yesterday I had an epiphany - I hadn't looked at JC Penney yet, and Bingo!  To sweeten the deal Penney's was having a 50% off or more sale! 

It started to get silly after 3 hours picking out one after another - filling my shopping cart only to empty it again and again. Here are the contenders that I ultimately rejected:

I was trying to get away with inexpensive, which wasn't working very well because although sort of cute in their own lampy ways they still weren't IT! LOL!  Finally, I got to page 15 (96 lamps per page mind you) out of who knows how many more pages of lamps... and there they were!


 

I ended up purchasing two of each. The two that I will use on my worktable were marked down from $85.00 to $34.00 (the one on the left), and the other two (the one on the right) for either side of my studio were marked down from $65.00 to $32.00.  They were a bit more than I had wanted to spend but they really met the look and feel I was shooting for... See, I do listen to all of you when you weigh in (well a lot of the time anyway) :D I know that the prices even at non-sale were good prices but my budget these days has been clipped pretty tightly so I was and am tickled pink to have found these!!!

Now the next part of the project is finding that perfect storage for my fleece so they don't look like such an eyesore and the mice can't get to them.  This was my idea initially but space is not going to allow for those little wooden frames they are sitting in, maybe just the cotton bags made from the embroidery hoops that I talked about in a recent post... 

 
I am in a bit of a quandary, do I need to make sure I wash all of my fleece and then store them? Is it ok to store them in plastic in the humid environment here in New Hampshire? OR, is it better not to wash the fleece, letting them remain in grease state until I'm ready to use them? And, is it better for them to be stored in breathable cotton or some such bags?   Sooooo much to learn! : {  Anyway...

Comments

Acorn to Oak said…
I love the lampshade in the top photo! It's adorable! I may have to try to make that! Congrats on finding the right lighting at a good price. It can be hard to do. I made several lamps last year to save money and have unique ones. I'd seen a $400+ lamp in a fancy store and thought..."I can make that". So, I did. I found a tall mercury glass candle stand at Home Goods. I added a lamp kit from Lowes and a lamp shade from Ross and Voila! A beautiful lamp that was very similar to what I'd seen but for so much less. It was so much fun that I made a silver metal one and a ceramic one too. I love lamps! Good luck on the rest of the room! Have fun! :-D
Really glad to read that you have managed to find a solution to your lighting problem ;o)
Amber said…
Lighting is expensive. I agree. I have two of the same lamps (the one on the right) and I love them!
Sarah Jane said…
I do like the look of some of those lamps & lights!

Happy weekend!
Sarah xxx
Carolyn ♥ said…
I can give you no help with the fleece my dear. Now if your question was about gardens... I definitely would have something to say. I do LOVE your choice of lamps. I'm off to JC Penny to see what I can find, I've been wanting a couple of new lamps, myself.