More gardening stories...


this is one of my first day lilies I planted when we first moved here back in 2007
she has rewarded me with many blooms and lots of offspring to transplant
As most of you know this is my first year working on my garden.  What I probably failed to mention is the potential garden space is huge!!!  After installing about $450.00 worth of plants it hasn't even made a dent in the space!  Remember that I live on an old farm so the spaces to install plants is almost endless and I haven't even mentioned the meadow that is about 2 acres!!!  And, no I am not contemplating anything with the meadow... unless I get another horse and pasture her out there... but that's another whole post! :D

drive up to the house and the right side of the house with the meadow and some of the potential gardening spaces

Just some of the wildflowers that fill the meadow... OK, except that volunteer hollyhock, which sadly was mowed down
last year when the owner had the landscape people mow the meadow.  It was such a trooper and the most lovely
pale peach color *sigh*
 
As many of you also know, we rent our home so although I have no problem with spending money on perennials to spruce up the place the kind of money I've started to realize is involved in doing everything is way out of the question, even if I had that kind of money. 

So, yet again I went on a cyber search for inspiration and hopefully some ideas of how to spruce up a large area but not invest the entire bank.  While browsing around I ran across this really interesting garden design software.  There was an offer to play with it for 15 days, no credit card or anything... just download it and in 15 days it would stop working.  I said to myself, "self, this sounds like something we should try, my muse agreeing of course so we downloaded it.  I have to tell you it is amazing and of course I bought my copy at the steep price of $24.00 I really couldn't go wrong.  You can put in buildings, decks, furniture, driveways, even cars!  Yes, yes, and of course trees and plants and flowers... it has helped me immeasurably by giving me a view I couldn't manage by just looking at the space.  Yes, I have figured out some plans for those big areas that would just munch up too much money in plants but that will have to wait for another post.



It is called Garden Planner, yeah I know, catchy name ... here is the link to the website - see what you think. I'm not involved with this company aside from being a customer but I thought some of you might be interested in trying it out yourselves, heck for 15 days free you could do all your designing, save it and then just delete the program. However, I saw the potential for over the years gardening plans so I forked over the $24.00 fee, which as these things go you will admit is quite reasonable.

I'll be back with more photos of the spaces and some updates in the next day or two...

Comments

I'm envious of your endless space! My yard is filling up so much, but there's still so much more I want to do. I would love a meadow beside my house ... I once rented an old farmhouse with a small meadow and a creek running through it. The potential was amazing, but sadly, I was only there for a couple of years when I was in my early 20s and not really into gardening much then. At least with the perennials you can always take them with you should you ever leave :) Wendy
Hi Wendy, thanks so much for telling me that little story! I love this place, which also has a brook that runs along the edge of the meadow! That is how I've been thinking, with perennials I can just take them with me. I think now I'm going to start adding some garden features around the plants... I've found some great ideas that I hopefully will be sharing with everyone in the near future! Believe me, if the place was mine this conversation wouldn't be going on... LOL! I'd be broke but I'd be surrounded by flowers! :D
Hugs my dear friend...
Michelle said…
I can't keep up with the weeds I have now, so no use dreaming of planting more areas!
Renee said…
Beth, Is there a garden club in your area? Our little garden club here runs a plant sale each spring & members bring plants from their gardens. We sell them really cheaply to the public It's a great way to get lots of plants for a little bit of money. Also, what about seeds or a seed swap? Your space sounds like a gardeners dream & nightmare all rolled into one....lots of space = lots of money! LOL I love daylilies & have 8 in my garden. Wish we lived closer, I could share some of my plants with you. Good luck with your design program...my design is strictly trial & error!
Hugs, Renee
Carolyn ♥ said…
What fun! Perhaps you could make a deal with the owner that you will beautify his landscape if he will foot the bill. Sounds more than fair. It's a great idea to start with a plan, then work the plan as the budget affords. Yours or his. Besides if you were to show him the master plan you've created, he may just be enticed to give it a go. It took us seven years to complete our plan... and now I just keep coming up with new ideas for my Honeyman to build. He's telling me it's time to slow down.
Bead and Needle said…
HEAVY SIGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is ALL so beautiful! Thanks for dropping by, Elizabeth...I must admit, I've been on vacation and am STILL catching up on my blog reading. This was a beautiful way to start my morning, for sure...thank you for that! Happy Thursday - Tanya
Jennifer Shelby said…
in all my renting days I never came across a place half so beautiful! Nature looks like she is taking very good care of you there. Love the software too, can't wait to give it a try!
Cindy D. said…
The Garden Planner actually sounds super fun! I bet it would be fun even if I wasn't planning a real garden but maybe a garden of dreams. :) Such beautiful photos!