Patisserie Tuesday No. 1...



Long before I began blogging I wanted to be a pastry chef... ha! Everyone tried to discourage me saying, You? getting up at 3:00 in the morning?... that'll be the day! LOL!  Well, come to find out the ones that do get up at 3:00 am are the bread aficionados, not the pastry chefs! 

Undeterred by the negativity I finally got up the courage to try and landed an apprenticeship in a small bakery about an hour away from our house. It was the most grueling, challenging job that I have ever loved!  My focus was cakes - for the most part wedding cakes, and working with chocolate... yeah, tough job but someone has to do it! :D 

Unfortunately fibro was just starting to rear her ugly head and at the end of each day at the bakery I could barely drag myself to my car for the hour drive home... but I loved every minute of it.  I have never had a job before or sense, and don't expect to ever have again, that met my creative needs and satisfied the diversity I always thirst for. 

You could literally make a different cake or pastry every day for the rest of your life and barely scratch the surface of what is out there to do! The day I left the apprenticeship, one year after I began, I actually sat in my car and just started crying because I knew I was leaving the best job I would ever have!  In the next life I have promised myself to start much earlier on with my baking career! :D

[source]
Of course what would a fabulous pastry be without an equally fabulous cappuccino?!
Anyway, I thought it might be fun to dedicate a day each week or so to the pastry arts.  Come over and link up your latest creation or the dream of your next creation in the world of sweets or share one of your favorite sweet recipes or just something you've been wanting to try out. It can be cake, bread, heck, even homemade candies... let your dreams stretch your creativity and imagination just as long as it is a sweet creation.

Now for a little inspiration... Yes, of course, from Paris!

[source]

[source]
 
[source]
 
 

Comments

Michelle said…
Oh my; I love to make and eat baked goodies but my skills are definitely more utilitarian than decorative!
Carolyn ♥ said…
Oh so delicious... but too pretty to eat? I envy your talents!
111 LaLa Lane said…
I am so sorry, I can not share anything right now because all I can do is drool. LOL! Sorry you had to leave the job you loved so much, but thanks for sharing your love with us. Hope you are doing well!
gilly said…
ooh yummy, all those deliciously mouth-watering tasty treats...
What a lovely idea - I shall have to get baking :-)
xx
Renee said…
mmmmmmm....my mouth is watering looking at these lovely treats! While not a pastry chef, I did a lot of cake decorating in days gone by (arthritis in my fingers slowed that down!) I've gone from wedding cakes to twice a year doing birthday cakes for the grand girls! In June it was Sponge Bob & next week it's a "pony" cake for the youngest. They think Grandma is awesome!
Hugs, Renee
The things that are revealed by fellow bloggers! How interesting to read of your love for baking Beth and as much as I like to, the things I make are not fancy, but yummy.
I would consider joining once a month, I'm finding participation in weekly blog parties overwhelming at times and think I should just start posting from the heart.
Judith