Patisserie Tuesday No. 2

Morning my sweet blogging sisters.  I am late putting up the second Patisserie Tuesday and I apologize.  Without further adieu lets get started...

I've been all through my computer looking for the photos for this cake but still can't find them.... eek!  OK, so next best thing is to bring you a video of it from the chef who created the cake, Ina Garten.  I can't tell you how many times I used this cake base and tweaked it for my particular needs. 

I will give you the recipe just below the video but know that my favorite ingredients in addition to using regular unbleached flour rather than cake flour was to add instead a splash of orange liqueur, real orange extract, fresh orange peel and semi-sweet chocolate bits. This cake lends itself quite well to playing with the additional ingredients list; blueberries and lemon juice and pecans instead of walnuts; chocolate or white chocolate chips and cranberries with almond extract in addition to a splash of vanilla... well, you get the idea)

 
 Sour Cream Coffee Cake
 
Total Time: 1 hr 40 min
Prep 30 min; Cook 1 hr +/- 
Ingredients
 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 extra-large eggs at room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups sour cream
2 1/2 cups cake flour (not self-rising) (I use regular unbleached flour - your choice)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt  
For the streusel:
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
3/4 cup chopped walnuts, optional   
For the glaze:
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons real maple syrup (or use 1 - 2 tbsp. fresh squeezed orange juice if you are making my orange chocolate chip version) 
Directions 
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan (I use a heavy duty angel food cake pan, which makes it easier to get the cake out of the pan).  
Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment for 4 to 5 minutes, until light. Add the eggs 1 at a time, then add the vanilla and sour cream. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture to the batter until just combined. Finish stirring with a spatula to be sure the batter is completely mixed.   
For the streusel, place the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and butter in a bowl and pinch together with your fingers until it forms a crumble. Mix in the walnuts, if desired.  
Spoon half the batter into the pan and spread it out with a knife. Sprinkle with 3/4 cup streusel. Spoon the rest of the batter in the pan, spread it out, and scatter the remaining streusel on top. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean (The timing is going to depend upon your oven, use an oven thermometer to check the accuracy of your ovens' temperature; N.B. I generally bake cakes at a lower temperature (325 degrees) and for a longer period of time - (you always have to check the cake continually as humidity or lack of will make a difference in the timing - I use shish-kabob skewers to test the cakes' doneness)although not an issue as much for this cake because of the sour cream lower temperatures tend to dry out the cake less).  
Let cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes. Carefully transfer the cake, streusel side up, onto a serving plate. Whisk the confectioners' sugar and maple syrup together, adding a few drops of water if necessary, to make the glaze runny. Drizzle as much as you like over the cake with a fork or spoon.  (If you are making my version use confectioners' sugar and freshly squeezed orange juice, or orange liqueur, or orange extract)

Comments

Rita May said…
That cake looks divine. I will have to try this recipe the next time I make a sour cream coffee cake. Mine is a bit different.
Cheerrs! Rita
Molly said…
Thanks for telling me about your party! and for the sweet comment on my cupcakes :D, I put a link to your blog in my post and I'm now your most recent follower. :)
Have a Great Week,
Molly
First of all thank you for the invitation. Secondly, this is quiet intimidating. Like you said this cake is a basic cake that you can gild or not. I remember this cake from my childhood and just accidentally rediscovered it. Thank you Ina, and thank you Beth for the invitation.
Hi Rita, thanks so much for accepting my invitation for Patisserie Tuesdays. Yes, that recipe I feature this week is amazing and very adaptable. Although it is a little labor intensive I promise it is worth every single crumb!
Hugs and hope to see you again next week!
Beth
Do these yummies look divine!!! I am a bit behind but will be linking up here lady!!! Cheers to you friend!!!
Oh dear we don't want it to be intimidating just fun. Like I said it doesn't have to be complicated or fancy, unless you want it to be. Just something yummy! Cookies are easy peasey...
Hugs
Nancy said…
This looks just delicious....I wish I could participate but I am on the strickist of diets right now...I have to loose some wt...drs orders but wow please enjoy for me....
:D You get here whenever you have time my friend! :D No rush, we'll be here.
Hugs
Jo-Ann said…
Thank you for the invitation to your party. Your blog is elegantly done. Refreshing. Your cake looks delicious. Thank you for commenting on my blog. So encouraging. Blessings, Jo-Ann
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Hi Elizabeth, thanks for stopping by my blog and letting me know about your party. I'm all linked up!
Hi Molly you are a sweetie and I love that you are a new friend following my blog! Thank you so much for participating in Patisserie Tuesday as well... hope to see you with your sweet recipes often! :D
Hugs
Hi Amy, I'm so glad you made it! I love your blog and look forward to frequent visits :D Hope you will be able to fit Patisserie Tuesday into your schedule at least some of the time! :D
Hugs and thanks again for participating :D
Hi Beth! Thanks so much for inviting me to your party - love you blog, and that cake of Ina's. Wowzers!