Pin Weaving Tutorial

Just had to share this with you all - this is way cool and if you are in need of some new placemats, well, here is a gorgeous way to make them... I brought this tutorial over from Tanna's Color Fiber Texture blog, which you must pop over to see. She has a cornucopia of projects and tutorials that you have to see for yourself... simply brilliant!  I can see all kinds of uses for this technique but right now I just happen to be in serious need of some new placemats... now where did I put that fusible web?

Continuing the idea of working with 1/2" wide strips, I thought I'd talk about Pin Weaving!
What is Pin Weaving?  It is pinning strips of fiber to some kind of support and then weaving.  No fancy loom necessary!  It is a great lesson for children. 
This is a very portable project that can be worked on at any time.  I take it to quilting when I don't feel like lugging my machine.  

It takes just a little set up, and they you're good to go.  For starters, you need a board.  What I used was a scrap piece of foam core, about 12" x 18" in size.  I say scrap because I am an artist (see art blog here!) and have scraps of such stuff laying around.  Your board can be any size; mine has made a series of placemats.  You can get foam core board at any craft store like Michael's or Joann.  Onto the board I stuck rolled cork to one side.  You find that with the contact and shelf paper at places like Target.  After the cork was stuck on, I layered one layer of batting over the cork and secured with packing tape on the back.  Functional does not need to be lovely.
For each project, in my case a place mat, I layered the backing, batting, iron on interfacing sticky side up on the board.  If you don't know your backing or are out of batting, just layer the interfacing sticky side up and you can add the others when finished.
Next take the strips and begin pinning them to the board, starting in the center.  This seems to hold the layers together quite nicely.  For pins, use thumb tacks.  Most of these strips are the cut pieces off a width of fabric to straighten the edge.  You will notice the strips are not perfectly 1/2" the full length.  That is part of the beauty of these - they are not perfect!

Here are the longer strips all finished.  Notice there are thumb tacks at each end.  The strips are slightly taught so weaving is possible.
Begin weaving.  The first strip can start either over or under; doesn't matter.  When finished, slide to the left and secure with thumb tacks on each end.
The over/under of the first strip didn't matter, but all the remainder do!  Since the 1st strip was started over, this next one is started under.  It is easier to weave the strips a few inches away from the previous strip and then move it over before securing it.  
Soon you have this:


I find it meditative to do while in a group talking.  I haven't tried it in front of the TV, but someone can leave a comment about that.  
When the weaving is all completed, lay a piece of tulle (fine netting) over the piece and quilt.  The netting keeps all the little loose ends and strips from catching under the quilting foot.  Add binding and it's done!  It's just enough quilting to hold the layers together.  And they wash well with the tulle on them also; kind of a necessity with placemats...

Comments

Ooooh, this turned out so pretty! I don't know if I'd have the patience for it myself haha. You did a great job!
Donna said…
So cute! I love the colors!
Easy for you to say. :-) I don't think I'd have the patience for something with so many little pieces. It sure turned out nice though Beth.
Judith
Carolyn ♥ said…
I want to do this... thinking maybe ribbons would work well, too. You are so crafty. Far away hugs sweet friend.
Chrissie said…
What a clever project! I love it, and I have a nice batch of scraps that would work nicely with this...Chrissie x
Storybook Woods said…
This is seriously cool. I would not have to worry about cutting perfect squares and triangles. I love yous!! Clarice
Mereknits said…
Beth, this is so beautiful. I love what you have made, incorporating weaving with fabric is such a great idea. Well done my friend.
Meredith