Questions with Few Real Answers...

Have you ever asked yourself why you blog?  Of late it seems a great many of us have been asking just that question.  Whether it be conscious or sub conscious it has become a very "real" question. Far too many blogs have fallen silent recently leaving behind only ghosts of past friendships, conversations, shared life events and experiences.

Blogging is changing... which way is anyone's guess... perhaps death...perhaps a different focus or, perhaps we just needed to take a break to reflect on that BIG question of why we are blogging. There are those who say FB and other such social media groups have taken the blog's place.  But the quick few word hit on the cold pages of such places as FB or Twitter somehow doesn't seem to fit what our need was when we began blogging.  I personally want more than a couple second sound bite offered up as substantive conversation between real friends, whether they be next door neighbors or cyber- friends living in places far away that most of us will likely only ever dream of.

I need more... sharing, caring, the sense of community which has been sorely missing in society at large far too long. Personally, that is why I think we began blogging - writing our personal journals out loud in this vast cyber-network of strangers sharing similar interests, goals, dreams - hoping someone would hear us and be interested in us for just us!

So, in that vain I begin again.  Certainly there have been many false starts coupled with myriad face-lifts interspersed with long bouts of silence followed by apologies - apologies to ourselves and our cyber-friends to whom we feel we have let down somehow.

I think if we stick to the idea of journaling out-loud as the modern form of the story-telling our ancestors practiced we will be able to build ourselves that sense of community we have longed for. The value and virtue of story-telling and sharing with our cyber-friends is really no different today than from those times of our ancestors sitting around a fire and sharing the days events.  It is the time of technology - that cannot be denied. Our lives have been rewritten by the bits and bites, the zeros and ones that drive the electronic age. But one thing has not changed, our need for interaction with the like minded. To get caught up with how many followers we have or how many places we have a technological clone of ourselves or any myriad of other issues that goes along with this fantastic but awe-strikng wave of movement facilitated by technology is where we get lost.  I blog to take a step back and refocus on more important things - for me that is art, friends, family and engaging conversation.  I am looking for that sense of community...This is why I blog...

See y'all around the cyber-sphere...

Comments

Mereknits said…
I blog for the same reasons and I have to say I have missed your voice lately, missed your words and thoughts. Blogging is like knitting, you can go out an buy a sweater, but taking the time to pick out yarn, pick out a pattern and work on it for weeks and weeks is much more fun. Fast social media outlets are the fine, but a nice blog post, where your thoughts are placed on a page for your friends to read and savor is so much better.
Hugs,
Meredith
Donna said…
I blog to create a personal diary and also to communicate with other people. As with any other endeavor, some people keep at it and some give it up over time when they lose interest. It all comes down to whether the time required blogging is felt to be worth it for the individual. I am not a fan of Facebook and never intend to have a Facebook presence. But I have found blogging to be personally satisfying. And I can honestly say that I am a MUCH better photographer today as a result of blogging!
africanaussie said…
I know that my garden is healthier and more prolific than it would have been without my blog, It is like having lots of gardening friends over the back fence and we all share our gardening advice, recipes and even what books to read next.
Jules Woolford said…
I started blogging to make connections, and sometimes I've faltered while life took over, but I keep on! I've found making the decision to start over with a new blog has been very liberating and helped me re-focus. I'm pretty much starting from scratch, but that's ok. I do have a FB presence, but it is pretty much as a member of several 'closed' artist groups. Can't include the detail there as you can in your blog though!