Five On Friday - My First Installment

Hi everyone!  I know, I've been away for a couple of weeks... trying to get my WIP's and UFO's all organized into a cohesive pile so I know what is actually out there in my studio, lol! 

Anyway, I thought it would be fun to join in on Five On Friday to take a little breather from the week and share five things -perhaps from the week, or some favorites or, well, you just never know what will pop up on my Five on Friday posts.  So, lets get started, shall we?... Oh, these are the other gals that are the week 3 Five on Friday group:





Beth (that would be me) from The Whimsical Dowager - you are here now
 
 
 
MY LIST OF FIVE


1. I just love YouTube.  The things one can learn there is mind boggling.  You can learn to knit, er, my success so far has been less than stellar but nonetheless you can learn if your fingers are your friends :D  You can learn about anthropology, culture... well, you name it really.  This week I came upon a video about 3 women from Appalachia all born in the early part of the last century.  It is a long video by YouTube standards but this is about heritage and life in a different time, told by the women themselves. (admittedly my interest comes from one of my other lifetimes when I was an anthropologist but I do hope some of you at least will find this fascinating from a sisterhood sort of perspective if nothing else)..


2. My second for this week is Pinterest, well really for any week but this week I thought I would share my newly re-kindled love of embroidery.  Are you beginning to notice a theme connecting the things I love? (I love learning!)...

3. Number three is by far one of my top of the favorites list... a snowy winter day (yes, I am one of "those;"! I love cloudy days whether it be rain, fog or yes, even snow!

 
4. Is being curled up on the sofa under a warm fluffy throw in front of the fireplace with a good book -  One of my most recent favorite reads
 
http://www.paulinewiles.com/books/saving-saffron-sweeting/
 
5. And last but not least - my favorite warm beverage of choice in the cold New Hampshire winter months is hot chocolate with lots of marshmallows (OK, I also have another favorite, a cinnamon cappuccino topped with lots of frothy milk) 
 
 
Did I mention gingerbread?  Oh but that would be six things... maybe no one is looking and I will just sneak this last one in.  After all, look at those cute little houses! :D
 
Thanks for visiting... and keep warm for all of you in the northern hemisphere!

Comments

CJ said…
Youtube can be fascinating can't it, I sometime's think you can learn anything from it, there are so many clever people sharing things. I love your embroidery pins, especially those pears, they're gorgeous. Snow is quite a rare occurrence here, we didn't have any last year, which I think was probably because I'd bought toboggans. Those little gingerbread houses that sit on the mug are a fantastic idea, love them. It's been a pleasure to discover your blog. CJ xx
A wonderful five things!!! I love your post, and I totally agree with embroidery, reading, gingerbread - heck, all of it!! Thank you so much for taking part. I hope that you have a great weekend. Happy Christmas! xx
Bill Nicholls said…
Can't believe you just have hot chocolate in the winter whats up with a treat now and then during the rest of the year
Alison said…
It's OK, I don't think anyone's noticed that you sneaked in six!! You tube is great, isn't it - I taught myself how to make Japanese Knot Buttons from there. Those gingerbread houses are just too cute! Have a lovely weekend! x
Pam said…
Hi Beth! Love all your sharing today! I am a youtuber too! Love that site! And of course pinterest too! Love the embroidery, don't have the patience for it, but totally respect those that do! Those gingerbread houses are the sweetest!!!
Mereknits said…
Lovely and fun things to be thankful for.
Hugs,
Meredith
Hey you! I would have to agree with you about U Tube...I have taught myself how to do some yarny things by watching those videos! And your finds are all so beautiful! Can I please sit on that porch and drink some of that hot chocolate!! Wishing you a lovely weekend friend! Nicole xoxo
gilly said…
Thanks for sharing your five in Friday, and Saving Saffron Sweeting was one of my faves too - a nice feel-good story just perfect for a cold wintery day read! Happy weekend, xx
Shannon said…
Cocoa is my favorite, too - especially with gingerbread!! I enjoyed reading your post.
muz said…
What a wonderful post. Really enjoyed the film and sitting on that porch with hot chocolate and those cute little gingerbread houses would be great! Thanks for sharing! It was nice to meet you!
VeggieMummy said…
Hello! Just discovered your blog and have enjoyed looking back through your posts. You Tube helped me learn to crochet this year - I must have watched the same granny square video about 50 times to get it right and ended up counting stitches in an American accent! I love your snowy scene photo and cinnamon cappuccino with one of those cute gingerbread houses sounds divine. x
Hi Beth! I've missed you on WOYWW! Thanks for your your visit to my blog! I really do love LifeBook - I first started seriously considering joining after talking to you, so thank you! Have you tried hot chocolate with Bailey's? Hmmm...